In 1918, Alexander Inglis said about the true goal of public education "Divide children by subject, by age-grading, by constant rankings on tests, and by many other more subtle means, and it was unlikely that the ignorant mass of mankind, separated in childhood, would ever re-integrate into a dangerous whole."
1) The adjustive or adaptive function.
2) The integrating function.
3) The diagnostic and directive function.
4) The differentiating function.
5) The selective function.
6) The propaedeutic function.