What is a "Path of Liberty"?
This is basically our name for our suggested list of informative reading materials and websites that will provide anyone with what we feel is the clearest path for building a firm understanding of the logical philosphical foundation of a liberty minded outlook and a voluntaryist mindset. Reading along this path will help anyone to understand what questions they should be asking, and then how to find the answers.
Our Suggested "Path Of Liberty"
- Take The World's Smallest Political Quiz to find out how libertarian you already are!
- Watch The Philosophy of Liberty. It's an excellent 8 min presentation on the basics.
- Read up on liberty. Learn that coercive government is the problem and voluntary interaction is the solution:
- Healing our World
You can read this excellent book online for free. Dr. Mary Ruwart explains how this world can be win-win if we just honor our neighbors' choices and get the the violence of government out of our lives.
- Read almost anything by Harry Browne
Two time Libertarian Presidential candidate and author, Harry Browne's writings are brilliant. See for yourself. Especially try his "Why Government Doesn't Work" and "How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World".
- It's critical at this point to learn how best to communicate liberty to others. For this, turn to the The Advocates for Self Government. Michael Cloud's "Secrets of Libertarian Persuasion", is highly recommended which is available through the Advocates.
- Read or listen to The Market for Liberty and/or Complete Liberty (you can get them free at that link in audio or PDF form) and learn about how coercive government is an unnecessary evil and how solving our problems begins with the voluntary society.
- By now you should be ready for the next step. Come to the Free State via The Free State Project. Imagine 20,000 activists moving to New Hampshire, with one goal: achieving liberty in your lifetime.
Need a little fiction to fill the gaps but still want to stay on a Path to Liberty?
For General Fiction and Literature:
Try "The Fountainhead" and "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand
"1984" and "Animal Farm" by George Orwell
"Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury
Try "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" by Robert Heinlein or "The LaNague Chronicles" by F. Paul Wilson
or "The Probability Broach" by L. Neil Smith or "Flow My Tears the Policeman Said" by Philip K Dick
Try "Wizard's First Rule" by Terry Goodkind or "Tarnsmen of Gor" by John Norman
or "The Colour of Magic" by Terry Pratchett
How about reading materials for children?
Definitely check out "The Adventures of Jonathan Gullible"
"A Wrinkle in Time" by Madeleine L'Engle
"The Giver" by Lois Lowry
"Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" by J.K. Rowling
These lists could go on forever, so if you want more recommendations, head over to the FTL BBS and just ask or search for other threads regarding book recommendations.